In case you are scheduling any travel time in the near future, here are some safety tips on how to make your house look “lived in” while you are away.
- If you can afford it, hire a house sitter to live in your house while you are away. As an alternative, ask a relative or friend to live in your house, even if it is just for a few days, or a couple of overnight stays. If you can’t arrange to have someone live in your house, arrange for someone to check on your house at least every second day. They should take in ad mail and postal mail, pick up any litter in the yard, and put out some garbage and/or recycling bins, even if they have to bring some of their garbage over to your place to put in the bins!
- Install timers for house lights. Set the timers to mimic normal living patterns.
- Close blinds/drapes before leaving. Ask whoever is checking your house to change the blinds’ positions every few days.
- If your car is visible from the street, arrange to have it moved and/or driven every few days.
- Arrange to have your lawn cut or driveway shoveled, depending on the season.
I hope you found these ideas to be helpful, and please do not hesitate to contact me at 888-775-4200 if I might be of any assistance to you at this time!